Business Process Modelling Tools:
Before talking about the tool let us address some foundational aspects:
- What is a business process model?
- What are the key elements of a business process model?
- What is business process management?
Along with this understanding, we would cover:
- Why is business process modeling so important for your business?
- How will the business process model help you to perform your organization’s activities?
- How will it help your organization to constantly re-evaluate, improve and re-work processes?
- And how will it bring change in your business productivity and efficiency of the organization processes?
What is Business Process Management?
Business process management is an organizational discipline where a company closely reviews all the processes individually and holistically. It analyses the current parameters and identifies problems of improvement to create a more efficient and effective business process. The life cycle of business process management includes design, modeling, execution, monitoring, and optimization.
BPM helps your organization with the following primary benefits:
- To create, map, analyze, and improve business processes
- Controlling of processes
- Running operations more efficiently
- Realization of organizational goals
- Moving toward digital transformation
- Improve and optimize tangled operations
- Closely track individual items as they move through a workflow
- Business process modeling is a critical component for effective business process management.
What is a Business Process Model?
Business process modeling is the analysis of business process flows and how individuals from different groups work together to achieve a business objective. It is also called business process mapping.
When you are starting a new project or analyzing a new domain, you want to start by analyzing the business process. You are discovering, analyzing, and validating the details of the as-is process, as well as identifying enhancements for the to-be business process model.
Business process modeling is the analytical representation of an organization’s business processes. Business process modeling helps with introspection. You get a deeper understanding of how your processes work and the way your business operates. Additional benefits of business process modeling are:
- Align business processes with business strategy
- Improve business processes and agility
- Provide the central point of the conversation
- A common understanding among the stakeholders
- Documented knowledge
- Provide transparency that improves trust among stakeholders
- Enables identification and analysis of best practices across business units
- Enables to identify and specify the business systems requirements
In Simple words, business process modeling directs to improve business performance by optimizing the efficiency of related activities in the planning of a product.
The Key Factors of a Business Process Model
- Desired Outcome
- Activity Descriptions
- Business Rules
- Entry Criteria and Inputs
- Exit Criteria and Outputs
- Process Flow Diagram
BPM Software will enable to let you to model, create, edit, and run all these factors of business processes in your organization and collect data and analytics.
Why are tools needed for Business Process Modelling and Business Process Management?
Managing business processes in organizations has many obstacles. Many business owners assume that it is meant only when there are many complex processes. However, business process management is important irrespective of the size of your business.
Here is a definitive guide to managing your business processes with the help of business process model tools. Business process modeling software gives an analytical representation of existing processes in the organization and lines it with to be processed for making them more efficient.
It is important to model your process both visually in a workflow diagram and textually using business process model software. BPM online tools are great if you are looking for process improvement in the organization.
In a manual environment, there is a lot of hidden knowledge concerning how things work. Manual processes are random and isolated, with little clarity about the roles and responsibilities of every stakeholder in the process. In a manual environment, it is easy for an individual to blame ‘the system’ and focus on problems rather than solutions.
When a process is automated, it must be spelled out, which is a good thing for everyone to see transparency in how things get done. Bringing processes under automation makes individual accountability transparent.
In an automated process, you can send a scheduled automatic notification. If everybody knows what they are accountable for, there are fewer errors and employees are less indifferent.
BPM Tools will help you to create visualizations that you can use during elicitation, analysis, and requirements management and development. BPM tools will also help you to create artifacts like screen mock-ups, process models, system diagrams, storyboards, and prototypes.
These tools enable to capture and storage of requirements and associated attributes. They will track relationships between requirements and other product information. It enables you to reuse requirements. BPM tools provide you with a versioning and historical reporting facility.
In a robust workflow platform, you get control over the data security, limiting access to only those who need it. A common platform enables cross-functional teams to work more efficiently, by integrating multiple systems.
A single function can be integrated to make the data flow easier and seamless through a common platform. When your whole organization is using the same BPM software, a process can easily involve people from multiple departments.
The automated system enables you to reflect a wide cultural change in the processes. Business processes become more transparent. Efficient, automated processes are a leading indicator of how well your organization runs.
Now that you know why exactly BPM software is necessary, here is a list of the features a good business process management tool should have.
- Visual process diagramming tool
- Drag and drop from designer
- Role-based access control
- Mobile support
- Powerful administrative features
- Single sign-on
- Integration with the existing software system
- Reports and analytics
- Performance for large user bases
- Process performance metrics
BPM Tools are uniquely designed to boost the efficiency of processes across verticals and organizations. If you have not chosen the BPM Software for your organization yet, it is high time to check out the TouchBase BPM solution!